Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In here, life is beautiful...

Today isn't exactly the greatest for me  I don't feel like going into it, but my body is really worn out, my head hurts, and I just need to distract myself.  The extremely awesome Amanda found an old Cabaret video and posted it on Facebook for me this past weekend, and it got me very nostalgic for the 1998 Broadway revival. 

As you may have gathered by now, I am a theatre geek.  I don't get up to NYC nearly as much as I used to (2001-2008 were the glory years), but I had an utter blast during that time period.  Can't even tell you how many shows, concerts, gigs, workshops, and benefits I attended.  I truly treasure those memories and met some of the greatest people during those years who I'm proud to call dear friends. 

Cabaret is what really kicked everything off.  Well, I should say my former obsession with Alan Cumming led me to everything, but Cabaret changed my life.  I saw the show 45 times at Studio 54 between October 14 2000 up through the final performance on January 4, 2004.  I met so many people and brought all of my best friends at least once.  I found new actors to adore and had quite memorable stage door experiences.  The cast was constantly revolving, and I saw so very many actors, both famous and up-and-coming.  My Emcees were Matt McGrath, Raul Esparza, John Stamos, Neil Patrick Harris, Jon Secada, Adam Pascal, and the understudies Vance Avery and Derek Isetti.  My Sally Bowles' were Lea Thompson, Gina Gershon, Brooke Shields, Molly Ringwald, Jane Leeves, Deborah Gibson, Melina Kanakaredes, Susan Egan, and the understudies Milena Govich, Heather Laws, Lori Eure, and Katrina Yaukey.  Part of the reason the show remained infinitely interesting to me is that there was always a new interpretation of character, singing, and actions.

For the record, my favorites in order: 
Esparza, McGrath, Pascal, NPH, Avery, Stamos, Isetti, Secada
Egan, Laws, Kanakaredes, Gershon, Thompson, Gibson, Leeves, Govich, Yaukey, Shields, Eure, Ringwald

I greatly respect the original Hal Prince vision of the show and think Joel Grey is truly fabulous, but I just prefer the Sam Mendes and Alan Cumming revamp.  I love how it's a combo of the 1966 OBC, the 1972 movie with Liza, and its own truly dark interpretations taken from their London Donmar production.  Thank goodness it came overseas...thank goodness.  It's a brilliant show where half the score is in a nightclub setting, it's decadent Weimar republic history, it's burlesque, it's foreshadowing of the dark WWII that was about to occur...I own the original Isherwood novels, the play I Am A Camera, and the original 1966 libretto.  I really should get the Kander & Ebb book already. 

Some videos out there are truly bad quality (but special to hardcore fans like me), so I'm just going to share some especially fun clips right now from performers I saw.  There's more footage out there, shame it's not on youtube. 

Raul Esparza-  "Willkommen"

Molly Ringwald-  "Don't Tell Mama."  8 years later, and I still can't stand her stiff ass.


Susan Egan-  "Mein Herr."  Fiercest Sally, and yet all her vids suck.

 Raul Esparza-  "Two Ladies"


Gina Gershon-  "Maybe This Time"

Neil Patrick Harris- "Money"

Neil Patrick Harris:  "Entr'Acte" and Kickline.  Give it 30 seconds till the picture comes up, and it's really only 6 minutes.  Unless you want to see the glorious acting of Tom Boosley.



John Stamos-  "If You Could See Her."  8 years later and I realize he's really not that bad. 

Adam Pascal-  "I Don't Care Much"

Jane Leeves-  "Cabaret"



Deborah Gibson-  Montage of songs

Holy crap, I never saw this!!  Melina Kanakaredes singing Maybe This Time on Regis & Kelly.  She was one of my favorites.


A fun little bonus for Michael C. Hall fans, as he was Alan Cumming's successor as the Emcee:


Milena Govich singing a special comedic rendition of "Cabaret" for charity. Cute!!  Very vegetarian.  ;-)


The commercial.  Yes that's Jennifer Jason Leigh as Sally:

Alan Cumming and Joel Grey performing at the Kennedy Center Honors.  CHILLS as always.

Cabaret at the 1998 Tonys.  I'll never stop loving this.  Cheeky imp.  Why did he turn into a douche?

Alan Cumming on Conan, 1999.  Best Cabaret interview ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment