Sunday, January 9, 2011

2010 pop culture highlights

It may be a week late, but I still want to post my 2010 Favorites list.  I found this survey from the lovely Jane.

My favorite film
Well, I don't get to the movies a ton....these are the ones we made the effort to go to together this year: The Wolfman, Alice in Wonderland 3D, Date Night, Nightmare on Elm Street, Dinner for Schmucks, My Soul to Take 3D, Due Date, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.  Out of all of these, I enjoyed Date Night and Harry Potter the best.  Pairing Carell and Fey was a total nerdgasm treat for me, and I'm just obsessed with the HP world.

 
My favorite book
Anything by Jen Lancaster!!  This woman is my new goddess.  After plowing through every last glorious page of her first four books, I put her most recent (My Fair Lazy: One Reality Television Addict’s Attempt to Discover If Not Being a Dumb Ass Is the New Black, or, a Culture-Up Manifesto) away so I would still have something new left to read.  Though, her blog is timely and hilarious, so I’m sorely tempted to just devour the last book.  Based on the title alone, how can you blame me?!


My favorite album or song this year
“Speechless" and "Paparazzi” by Lady Gaga.  Good lord, do I love that woman.  I just freakin adore the entire Fame Monster album. 
 


Couldn’t get “Right Round” by Flo Rida out of my head because we always turn The Hangover on when it’s on cable, and that’s the song in the amazing end montage

I also enjoyed quite a few of the Glee mp3s that were out there, but my ultimate “repeat” song was their rendition of “Run Joey Run.”  Sheer brilliance, as was the video.



Me and L started creating our own parody called “Run Charlie Run” about the assassination of President McKinley by Charles Guiteau.  But that’s also because I’m a musical theatre nerd and worship the Sondheim show Assassins.  In any event, "Daddy please don’t, it wasn’t his fault, he means so much to meeeeeeeeee!" 


Totally adored the Fallon/Fey/Glee/Hamm “Born to Run” Emmy’s opening. 



The Lonely Island still remained awesome, and I particularly enjoyed “Great Day.”



Also, Mindy Kaling’s (or should I say Subtle Sexuality’s) song “Male Prima Donna” on The Office was positively hysterical.  Looks like I liked a lot of silly songs this year!  




My TV boyfriend of the year
There are 3 categories:  The Hello-come-here-take-me-nowwwww, which Matt Morrison falls into.  The Dear-Lord-Are-You-FUNNY-on-top-of-gorg is where Jon Hamm reigns.  And then there's the OMGOMG-How-could-I-have-hated-you-for-so-long-when-you-are-sublime-perfection category known as Kyle MacLachlan.  Between Desperate Housewives, How I Met Your Mother, that SVU episode that’s often repeated, and my Twin Peaks obsession, that man will forever be my TV bf.  And for the SatC fans…Schooner.  Hahaha!  Once again, I love someone I used to “hate.”  I really do need to write a scientific theory called The Esparza-Schwartzman Theorem. 


My TV girlfriend of the year
Tina Fey is my constant….but I’d have to say Mariska Hargitay can enter this category now.  She’s delightful.  Also, Bernadette (Melissa Rauch) from Big Bang Theory is just insanely adorable. 
 

My biggest anticipations of the year

Well, I thought Hedwig was supposed to be revived on Broadway…how’s that going, JCM??  *bites nails*


My favorite new website of the year
These aren’t exactly new, but I enjoy poring over the TWOP sitcom forums as well as the Twin Peaks recaps at work.  I also really like this review site I was led to called The Life and Art of Vern.  Cupcakes Take the Cake is a fabulous blog that I stumbled upon. 


My favorite pop culture news story of the year
Everything involving the late night wars with Conebone69 and Leno.  I am so glad Conan has a venue where he can do what he wants, but I hate how it had to happen.  Such bullshit.


My favorite actor/actress of the year
I really started loving Anne Hathaway this year, but I’d have to say that James Franco wins this category.  Not for any movies, not for his art or writing and 8 bazillion classes and hobbies, not even his winking performance art of General Hospital…no, it’s all thanks to SNL and the Tizzle Wizzle show.  “I’m wearing PAJAMAS!!”  Has a simple line ever been uttered with more gusto, goofiness, and charm?  That’s right. 



(It is not lost on me that I chose the two upcoming Oscar hosts as my favorites.  Apparently I am proving that there are younger viewers in want of younger hipper hosts.) 

 
My favorite TV drama of the year
I got addicted to Law & Order: SVU in a hardcore way.  I can't imagine my evenings without Stabler and Benson anymore!!  Haven't been watching quite as many dramas as I used to, especially medical shows like House and Grey's.  L watches NCIS and Burn Notice, and those are very good too.  I especially love Abby!


My favorite TV comedy of the year
Big Bang Theory is the one show I always tried to watch "live" no matter what.  I just love those guys, and while the situations are a touch heightened at times, they're still realistically hilarious.  We're always quoting from the episodes.  How I Met Your Mother still kept me laughing, and I really enjoy Glee.  There are times it annoys me, but I love waiting a few weeks and watching a marathon.


My favorite TV reality show of the year
I was rather tired of reality this year.  I stopped watching Biggest Loser, and Idol is breaking my heart.  Top Chef was good (especially All-Stars), but I didn’t watch Masters or Desserts.  I watched Cupcake War, but I wouldn’t call it a favorite.  I guess I’d have to say Project Runway…despite the annoying-ass win, I thought Tim Gunn was on top of his game, and Mondo was delightful.  Being back in NYC was a thrill as well.  On that note, I am forever a slave to What Not to Wear.    

 
My favorite TV channel of the year
I don’t really favor any one in particular…I’ll often leave on Bravo, USA, Food Network, Hub, VH1 Classics…

No comments:

Post a Comment