Thursday, October 14, 2010

"What good is sitting alone in your room, come hear the music play..."

Today makes it exactly 10 years since I first saw Cabaret at Studio 54 in New York.  I had seen two Broadway shows previously, but Cabaret is what really jump started my obsession with live theatre.  I ended up seeing the show 45 times (you read that correctly) over the next four years, right through the final closing performance.

The show changed my life in that I was no longer afraid to take day trips up to the city and get to know the ins and outs better than a typical tourist.  I started seeing as many shows as I could (and often many repeats of my favorites or ones featuring favorite actors) and though it burned a hole in my bank account, I have a plethora of treasured memories.  I "stage doored" often and have an album filled with pictures of me with actors and actresses.  I learned about the online social culture and ended up meeting with people who I consider some of my dearest friends.  I worked on websites that were actually quite popular.  My writing was actually enjoyed and anticipated by people.  I learned that it was ok to be a full-fledged fan geek. 

I haven't been able to go to shows like I used to, as bills and real life have prevented me from getting up there.  I live relatively close, but train tickets have gotten very expensive and my job prevents me from just dashing onto a 3 pm train like I used to on a weekday.  The weekends are now spent with my bf and local friends.  If I see my out-of-town friends, I have to make special plans.  Nothing is just a "whim" anymore, and a $55 show is still a deal...but not twice nearly every weekend. 

I miss my old cavalier and cultured life, but I wouldn't trade it for my current one for anything.  I feel like I used those shows to fill a void.  This isn't entirely true, as I truly enjoy going to the theatre, but they were all I focused upon.  I built my life around those shows and gigs.  I wouldn't go to NY to just hang out, I had to have a show in there too otherwise it felt like a wasted opportunity.  Now I only go up to chill with my friends!  Though I haven't done it very often lately, and I really do need to remedy that.  Life changes along with our interests and priorities (and bills), but I do need to make more of an effort.  I miss my girls very much and really want them to get to know my bf. 

NYC theatre filled my life from 2000-2007, but that doesn't mean it's gone for good.  Hopefully I'll be able to integrate back into my future, but I am certainly grateful for the way it helped shape me into the person I am today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment