Sunday, May 22, 2011

"Some people choose the city, some others choose the good old family home"

This week of training has sucked so much because of the commute time.  I wouldn't mind being in the car for an hour, but being on the train for 45 minutes in the morning and afternoon after waiting in the smelly bowels of the SEPTA line is just evil.  I truly admire those who constantly commute in this fashion.  Maybe if I was doing my regular job for 8 hrs, it wouldn't be so bad.  Sitting in one classroom for 8 hrs is awful.  God, I don't think I've done that since elementary school! (or since my first round of training with this company)  That's probably why I'm so damn drained at night.  I know it's only been 5 days, but I cannot WAIT for these next 3 days to fly by.

I think it's funny how I'm such a city girl with New York but how I don't care much for Philly.  It's my native city and I don't have trouble driving through the majority of it, but it's not my first choice by any stretch.  Philly smells like piss and gas with an extra dose of sweat.  New York smells too, but it smells like vanilla, steam, hot dogs, and trash.  It's a smell that I happily breathe in.  Their subways don't phase me, except during the summer heat.  SEPTA makes me want to pass out just standing around.  And the train itself!  Bleh.  I'll take NJ Transit any day of the week.

Does this make me a traitor?  Not really, I don't mind hanging out on South St, Penns Landing, Sports Complex, Art museum, Chinatown, Washington Square, the Northeast...you will always see me rooting for the Phillies and hometown heroes along with possessing a super thick Philly accent.  I know where to get the best cheesesteaks (hint: surrounding suburbs), live for Wawa, used to have soft pretzels for breakfast, and feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know what a Tastykake is.   I just don't really feel comfortable.  I don't often know where I'm going and would much prefer going with a friend.  I barely know anywhere fun to go.  If I'm in Philly, there's a purpose behind it.  Meanwhile, I have wandered around NYC by myself for 12 hours at a time while taking the last train out of Penn Station.

No matter what, commuting by SEPTA to a dull ass classroom sucks.  And I suppose it still would if I took NJ Transit to a Midtown classroom.  While my heart is with Philly, my passion is with New York.  I will have to save that love story for another day since I need to relax before waking up at 5:45 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment