Sunday, October 2, 2011

"Stand up, kneel, sit down, stand up, kneel, sit down, stand up, kneel, sit down, Stand up, Kneel, Sit down... Genuflect today!"

It was my grandmother's 83rd birthday this week, so I told her I'd go to church with her as part of her gift.  That may sound cheap to some, but it means the world to my grandmother.  She grew up Protestant, married someone whose father was Jewish, and she's had a predominately Jewish last name for the last 50-some years.  About 10 years ago, she decided she wanted to be buried Catholic.  Catholicism always fascinated her, but she didn't have the time to fully convert (she worked up till she was nearly 80).  She went to Adoration every week for 7 years to quietly sit and pray, but no one knew she wasn't Catholic until she asked about the conversion process.  She officially became Catholic on Easter Saturday 2007, and the church has become a huge part of her life. 

What I like is that her personal beliefs about the world hasn't changed due to her religious awakening.  She describes this as putting herself in the hands of the Lord.  My grandmother has finally found peace, acceptance of her life, and a purpose.  She is so heavily involved in all aspects of her church, and she has been a sponsor/godmother 5 times.  Many of these people (ranging in age from late 20s to 70s) have become dear friends to her.  A good portion of them came to my mother's funeral to support us despite having never met her, which greatly touched me.  She truly has a wonderful and warm parish.  I love how she always ends up hanging out with people not much older than me.  My grandmother is just so youthful and brassy and fun, and everyone wants to hang with her.  It gives me peace knowing that she is watched over despite me being an hour away.

I told her I wanted to come with her because hey, it's a huge part of her life, I want to take an interest, and I wanted to get to know the people she's so close with.  They knew I was not about to be converted, and they respect my beliefs.  And I do respect theirs.  I have been to services at all different phases of my life, and it has never hooked me.  I just don't care for the rituals and beliefs in any religion.  Yet, I did enjoy the homily.  She wasn't kidding about her priest being an engaging speaker who really makes things relevant to the modern world.  Otherwise, I was bored out of my mind.  I ended up having to stay with her for a meeting and a class that she didn't realize was occurring today.  It reminded me a lot of my Catholic school days (1st and 2nd gr only, never got confirmed), and I was really getting antsy.  However, I made a promise, and I fulfilled it charmingly.  But that's something I can't really do more than once a year!

I have always loved this Emily Dickinson poem:

Some Keep the Sabbath Going to Church

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church –
I keep it, staying at Home –
With a Bobolink for a Chorister –
And an Orchard, for a Dome –

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice –
I, just wear my Wings –
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton – sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman –
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
I’m going, all along.



Be a good person.  Keep your beliefs true.  Know that you don't necessarily have to follow ritual in order to find your "next great adventure" as my grandmother describes it.  But if that makes you feel right, then there's nothing wrong with that.  Just keep hate from your heart and actions.  That's my true spiritual belief.   

No comments:

Post a Comment