Tuesday, March 1, 2011

American Idol S10 Top 12 Guys

THIS is A-MER-ican Idol!  I did miss that, Ry.  I said it with you while looking at your face in 40 in HD for the first time.  That is some shiny ass product and gel you’ve got going there. 

During the second episode of this season, I noticed that the credits don’t just have the winners anymore.  They now include Chris Daughtry, Adam Lambert, and Jennifer Hudson.  Good thing, because they’re more famous than some of the winners! 

Oh RyRy, I truly hope you actually dropped the f-bomb there, because for reals, you going off on a curse filled tangent in Knocked Up was hot.  Notice they didn’t give Steven much time to talk.  That bleep sign is actually sort of cute.

Here we go with the top 12 boys!  7 of them will be cut along with 7 girls on Thursday.  Wild cards (2, I’m assuming) will be chosen by the judges. 

Clint-  Superstition.  Fittingly, that is a karaoke song, but he has proven that he’s no amateur.  But seriously?  How many damn times has that song been performed on this show??  And man is he trying to throw out the Lambert-esque wail.  Steven, you’re a bit effusive with the praise there.  The other two were right.  Good, but nothing special at all.  Sorry you got dreaded first spot because no one’s going to remember that. 

Jovany-  I’ll Be.  AHHHH.  AWWW COME ON.  AHHHH.  Yeah, that was my exact reaction to the first couple chords of this sappy overfilled crapfest of a song.  If they pull out Against All Odds, I’m screaming bloody murder.  Holy shipyards, Steven?  Really?  Huh.  Wow, when did Randy become the voice of reason??  Maybe he really did listen to Simon besides parrot him.  In any event, this guy’s voice is good, but it’s nothing to go shipballs over.  This is more than just a good first effort, J-Lo.  These kids don’t get a couple more weeks to prove themselves; it’s essentially now or never.

Jordan-  O.M.G.  His voice got swallowed up at the beginning.  I don’t even know this song, which makes me old, but he was good once he started relaxing.  But are the girls paid to scream already?  Or is his bod actually just that hot?  Ok, so this is being panned by the judges who are talking about how he’s not like this, and he agrees.  So you try to be someone different on your one chance?  Not too brilliant there, dude.  What’s sad is that I barely remember him from Hollywood, and I know he was featured a lot, so I couldn’t even tell you whether this is a departure from his normal style.
Tim-  Come On Over.  I really grew to like this guy by the end of Hollywood.  It might be because his name Tim Halperin reminds me of Jim Halpert.  Not loving this song on him, damn.  Hey, the judges agree with me!  It only took them 4 contestants.  I think this guy deserves a chance though.  Maybe I’ll figure out who he looks like….wait!  I got it!  He smiled, and I realize he looks like Adam Pascal with bangs.  Same purty mouth and sleepy eyes.
Brett-  Light My Fire.  Oh underage honey.  This is such a sexy song; you shouldn’t be trying to get my pants aflame!  Same arrangement as Michael Johns’s version years ago.  Like the hair tosses.  He’s very androgynous.  Really can’t wait to hear what Steven says, because I think he has a nice mellow vibe and good wails.  Ooh!  ST likes.  J-Lo thinks he’s outdiva’d her and Beyonce, which is really an insurmountable feat.  14 hair tosses?  Get this boy a Pantene commercial. 
So, I just literally LOL’d at him running into Ry’s arms.  God I’m so happy that the show has been revamped so I wouldn’t miss gems like this.  Seriously, I was ready to quit after having obsessively watched from seasons 3-9, gone to the show concerts and alum shows, watched Rewind for seasons 1 & 2, almost blew up my hard drive with mp3s, and even got the board game.  But thank god they got my all time favorite musician in the world to be a new judge.  You don’t realize how obsessed I’ve been with Aerosmith since I was 13.  I’ve seen them 4 times in concerts and saw Idol 6 times.  That is mind-boggling, and I am so glad both worlds collided. 
James-  You Got Another Thing Coming.   Ah, the kid who has a Lambert-Tyler scream and a lot of issues.  Naturally, he was a producer’s fave.  I haven’t typed much about this because I was too busy watching ST’s reaction.  Thank you for clarifying it was Judas Priest.  I’m now going to have to turn in my hard rock devotee card.  Maybe I didn’t type much about this because I actually enjoyed it!  How about that!  Yeah, Steven won’t let this guy go anywhere. 
Robbie- Arms of an Angel .  I can guarantee that my mom would have loved him.  He reminds me of someone I was in a film camp with years ago.  Lovely voice, but I’m already snoozing.  I’ll just focus on his nose.  I like big noses.   Ok, I googled, and that’s Sarah McLachlan.  Oh wait, that’s that damn animal commercial that I can’t watch!  Great dude, now when I think of Robbie, I’ll think of homeless puppies.  J-Lo and ST are calling him special and all, but Randy’s saying it like it is.  I won’t declare this Bizarro Night because the first two are still new and haven’t had time to feel comfortable being bitchy yet. 
Scotty- Letters From Home .  Slow deep drawling.  Gee.  Sur-priiiise, sur-priiiiise.  This kid may be fine in the country world, but I’ll admit 95% ignorance of that world.  Just glad he knows yet another song!  I do agree with Randy, it’s old school country.  Ok, seriously, my fingers do not feel right typing agree + Randy. 
Stefano- Just the Way You Are.  More slow tempo.  Ugh.  He has a pretty tenor.  Oh, I actually know this song now!  Amazing.  Steven and Jennifer are just kinda boring with their generally positive reviews.  Yet, I truly do think Steven means what he says, because he truly appreciates all music.  But this praise was more deserved than the last two, for sure.  Oh lord Ry, nice producer pimp.  I think this guy is sweet.
Paul- Maggie May.  Ooooh, I really liked him in Hollywood.  His Blackbird was just so lovely.  He’s my favorite coming into tonight.  I like that he’s singing something that has not been done before (as far as I can see in my memory rolodex of Idol songs).  His voice is so truly unique, and he’s endearing with a gorgeous smile and good energy.  I’m totally won by him tonight.  ST is the king of character within the voice and stage presence, so that’s quite a compliment.  J-Lo is doing her own version of a Paula drool….joy to the world when he smiles?  Oh boy.  I’d like to embrace this kind of singer too, Randy.  Indeed.  Indeeeed. 
Jacob- A House Is Not a Home.  Did Randy call his God Bless the Child the single best ever on Idol?  Oh boy.  Nope, no hype there, Jackson.  Tonight, this is definitely a good choice for his style and voice.  Nice suit.  I appreciate a little spiffiness sometimes, especially for a classic like this.  That was a kickass final note, even Steven swooned.  Divine intervention?  Sheesh, that’s a little over-the-top.  Ok Jennifer, Randy, he did it in Vandross style for sure, but this was a Bacharach/Warwick original, and I can certainly hear that influence as well.  Come on now. 
Casey- I Put a Spell on You.  Oooooh.  I LOVE this song.  I LOVE his passion right now.  That is a performance!  I don’t even care that he’s not technically the best singer.  He is SELLING THIS SHIT AND I AM BUYING IT ALL.  Loved his bass performance in Hollywood and was looking forward to seeing him, but I sure as hell wasn’t expecting this!  Oh lordy, that was awesome!  It’s so much fun to watch Steven’s face during performances.  Sometimes he’s quietly grooving, other times he is swooning.  Right now he’s just really giving a real talkback, and I appreciate that.  Casey is Seth Rogen-esque, but J-Lo’s right:  He’s sexy.  He works it.  
My predictions:
Who should be giddy in anticipation of a summer concert paycheck:
James, Casey, Paul, Scotty, Jacob
Who should start repacking their suitcase:
Brett, Tim, Clint, Robbie
Who should already be in the airport terminal:
Stefano, Jovany, Jordan
If I had my way, the 6 guys for top 12 would be Paul, Casey, James, Brett, Tim, and Stefano.  But that’s just me! 
I was bored by a lot of song choices tonight.  A lot of them did not bring their best to the table, and that’s stupid because if they’re voted out, they may not even get a chance for wild card.  Here’s hoping the girls bring it tomorrow, because it is so time for a lady win again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment